Wednesday, February 8, 2012

In Need of a Fence

So I've decided that living right next door to your neighbor is a little more complicated then I thought.  Growing up, we had neighbors, but they were always an acre away -  the perfect neighbor distance if I may add.

Since moving in I've noticed 2 things.   
One:  There is absolutely no way you can wake up on Sunday morning and walk out to get the paper in your pj's.  No matter how many times I peak through the blinds to make sure there isn't a neighbor walking his dog or pulling out of his driveway... I always get caught and have to do the embarrassing wave as I grab my paper and hustle to the door.    
Two: For not having any kids myself, how is it that I have bikes, scooters, helmets, barbie body parts (seriously? didn't you notice when Barbie came home missing her leg?!?) juice boxes and candy wrappers all over the yard?  Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE kids!  If I didn't love them I surely would not be able to work with them all dayWhat I don't love are kids parents who let their kids play in my yard, which would not be a big deal if I didn't feel like my front/back yard was in my living room.

So, since I certainly can't seem to learn my lesson on number one, the least I can do is fix number two.   My solution to this is getting a fence.  I figured I would get a privacy fence one day, but I thought it would be a couple of years down the road and be warranted by a new puppy or something, but that's okay, how much could a fence be for my tiny yard anyway........ right?

I'm still recovering from sticker shock, but I wanted to share with you the information I got from a couple of local fence-men.

Since the left side of my house is a drainage retention area, my property does a number of dips in the back.  In order for my fence to be straight across the top, the fence would have to be made specifically for my yard.  To do this, they would have to use a combination of 6ft and 7 ft boards.  
The quotes I received were for white vinyl and wood since I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do yet.   I have a total of 124 feet that needs fencing and 1 gate..... this is what I was quoted.

Company #1:  White Vinyl - $4500
                          Wood -  $3700

Company #2:  Wood - $2675-$2760 (to get it straight at the top)
                          White Vinyl -  Wouldn't give me a quote... told me 
                          "Ohhh... thats too expensive?"

Company #3: Wood - $4882
                         White Vinyl (6ft only) - $5630   
                        White Vinyl (Custom) $10300!! Holy COW!

Trust me when I tell you -I had NO idea fences were so pricy! Naturally, I went with Company #1.  Not only did they have the best price in town but I met the owner and he was super nice and didn't laugh when I asked any dumb/silly questions ;)

So, come Monday, my little back yard will transform into a quiet oasis.  I will finally be able to put out my grill and chairs and be able to enjoy a little time in a "kids-free" zone. :-)

4 comments:

  1. So excited to find your blog!!! Your garage looks GREAT!! Despite the sticker price, I think you TOTALLY will be glad to have a fence...as the saying goes, fences make good neighbors!!! Dreading the day we change ours out because I'll have three kids and a dog all in the house for a bit during the construction! YIKES! Let me know how it goes! I'm happy to know of your blog and excited to be your newest follower!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really excited to get the fence - I KNOW that it will be worth the money in the end :)

      Thanks so much for the comment :)

      Delete
  2. You bet fences are pricy! I should know... this is my ninth house. You just have to go for it, because in the end it's the 'best room in the house'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (nine doesn't include the cottage and vacation home)

      Delete